2340 Omilo Lane, Honolulu, Hawaii 96819
Our Catholic School Teaches Christ-Centered Values
History of St. John the Baptist Catholic School
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church first opened its doors to the people of Kalihi in May of 1844. One hundred fifteen years later, September of 1959, St. John the Baptist Catholic School opened its doors to the children of Kalihi.
The original school building was constructed in 1958-1959 under the direction of Father John M. Coulehan, MM., 7th pastor of St. John the Baptist Parish. The convent building was added in 1962. Maryknoll Sisters opened and staffed the school from 1959-1976. In September of 1976, the Dominican Sisters of the Most Holy Rosary took over the operation of the school. Under the guidance of Father Laurence S. Vaughan, M.M, 10th pastor of St. John the Baptist Parish, the parishoners completed the physical facilities of the school.
In May of 1979, Bishop John J. Sanclan, D.D. blessed the new social hall, the Ministry office, Science room, Kindergarten room, and the library. In January 1985, the transfer of administration leadership for the parish and school took place between the Maryknoll Fathers and the Diocese of Honolulu.
Carol Chong became the school’s first lay principal in July of 2016. In July of 2017, Father Moses Akebule became the 19th administrator of St. John the Baptist parish and school.
School Admission Policy
Returning students must re-enroll (non-refundable registration fee; deposit required by return date)
Kindergarten children must have attained the age of 5 by Dec. 1st. Kindergarten admission involves a readiness test and parent interview
Grades 1st - 8th: Entrance assessment and parent interview with our principal
Must be toilet-trained
Form 14 or health card with the necessary immunizations, current physical exam and TB clearance